Monday, October 30, 2006

Stable again?

So what's up? What has been happening to me for the past weeks (make that a month) of not posting anything? Well, ever since the tropical cyclone "Milenyo" (Xangsane) hit us (and hit us really hard) last month, life has been a roller coaster ride for me.

The typhoon caused a lot of inconvenience. We were without electricity for 3 days, and without water for almost 4 days. It was pretty inconvenient, but we were still fortunate. Other areas were not so lucky. Cleaning up afterwards was also a bit of a PITA (pain in the ***).

Then, as luck would have it, my PC broke down just when power was restored to our little town. I knew that there was something wrong with my PC before, specifically with the power supply unit. But this time, it won't even start! Long story short, I was without my own PC for almost 3 weeks. During that time, I had to resort to going to cyber/internet cafes and using my sister's PC, just to keep up with things and prevent my e-mail inbox from being swamped.

And to add insult to injury, I caught the flu last week! Although I did have a PC that I could use (my sister's), I was not in the condition to use it. Yeah, I could go online, read some mail/feeds, chat, etc. But I don't think I was really thinking straight during those times. The good news is that I lose 3 kilos in that one week. That's more than I have lost in months! Maybe I should get sick more often. heheh!

So now I have everything back again: weather, PC, and health. Well, I've partly regained my health, though I'm not sure I'm up for doing heavy exercises again. So is everything stable again? Hopefully so. And in the meantime, I've decided and done quit a few things the past days. Here they are, in random order:

  1. Start studying! Make use of the loads of free time that I have. Dreaming and planning will come to nothing if I don't do anything at all.
  2. I'm moving into Blogger! While Multiply is still my service of choice, I really need a blog/site where people can comment on what I post, member or non-member. I don't foresee Multiply getting anything resembling that feature anytime soon. So it's with a heavy heart that I turn away from it. I'll still be updating it, though. Cross-posting between the two is easy. And the Photo and Video galleries are definitely nice.
  3. I've reformatted, repartitioned, and reinstalled. I've upgraded to the latest release of Kubuntu. Here comes the Edgy Eft! What I've installed isn't really the default Kubuntu installation. I've customized it heavily to meet my needs and wants. And I'm proud of it. So far, I haven't run into much trouble. It's not like I don't like the Kubuntu defaults. The artwork by Kenneth Wimer is truly amazing and the work done by the devs is praiseworthy. It's just that I like to tinker with things, and want an OS that is really mine, without having to really sweat over it unnecessarily. Screenshots of what I've done soon to follow.

Well, it's past midnight again, and I should really be sleeping now.

No comments: