Friday, November 03, 2006

An angel on earth


When people say "angels don't exist", I merely smile. Obviously, they haven't met my Mama.

Yesterday, we celebrated our Mama's birthday. We didn't do anything special. She cooked her famous spaghetti the day before, as well as some potato salad (we did contemplate on drinking Bailey's but were too lazy to mix stuff in the middle of dinner). So, there was not much fanfare. It did, however, give me the opportunity to think about the special person who was born on that special day.

I can't say how blessed I am to have a mother like her. I can't fully express my gratitude to God and to my grandparents for giving me one of the greatest gifts in my life. My Mama is no ordinary mom. She's a Super Mom! Through trials and tribulations, through good times and bad, through thick or thin, rain or shine, she goes through them all and emerges victorious! Not only that, she remains as beautiful, fresh and looking young as ever! I have met a lot of mothers in my life time. I've met mothers who went through almost the same things that my Mama went through. But when I look at my mother, I breathe a sigh of release, grateful that she did not end up like them, that she did not give up, that she kept on fighting for her family and for herself. I dread to think where we would be right now if she had given up.

Mama is very special. She is more than just a mother to us. She's also like a sister and a friend. When we go out together, people comment that we just look like siblings. And sometimes we act that way, too. We sometimes enjoy the same cartoons (of course she doesn't share my taste in anime), we "get" the same jokes, laugh at the same silly stuff, talk about what's in or what's out (please don't tell me I just sounded like Sandara!), and doing lots of other fun stuff together.

Mama is more than a mother, a sister, or a friend. She's an angel. God sends angels to watch over you and keep you from harm. Angels are there to protect you, to care for you, to embrace you, to love you. That's what my Mama is. An angel on earth and a foretaste of heaven in my life.

Happy (belated) Birthday, Mama! I love you so, so much!

No comments: